What Is Solar Energy
In the UK we rely heavily on fossil fuels to provide heat and light to our homes. Indeed, domestic use alone accounts for over 25% of our carbon dioxide emissions. Solar electricity produces virtually no carbon emissions and by making the switch the Energy Saving Trust estimates that this could reduce the emissions of an average household by 20%. Here in the UK we are lagging behind the rest of Europe as only 2% of our energy is generated from renewable sources as compared to 7% in other countries. The government hopes that with the introduction of FITs we can improve on this.
Reasons to make the change?
- To reduce your electricity bills.
- Surplus electricity can be sold back to the National Grid.
- Long life of around 30 plus years.
- No maintenance.
- Works all year round even in cloudy conditions.
- Less impact on the environment.
- Solar Energy is good for the environment and has many uses; the most common is perhaps the most unusual, as an investment with a tax free return that’s linked to the RPI. Currently the demand for solar energy is at an all time high with demand out demanding supply!
- Solar energy uses; electricity production and heating of water, cooking food, lighting indoors or outdoors, drying clothes, heat swimming pools, power cars, for attic fans, calculators.
Solar Energy usage:
- measured in kilowatt-hour. 1 kilowatt = 1000 watts, 1 kilowatt-hour (kWh) = 100 watt light bulb for 10 hours, 30% of energy used in the home heats water
Solar Energy systems:
- solar systems for the home are typically made up of solar panels, inverter, battery, charge controller, wiring and support structure.
- solar systems take about 1-2 days to install and costs from £6,000 – £10,000, they vary greatly. The government have launched generous incentives called a Feed in Tariff which returns money to the home owner.
- A 1.00 kw Solar PV system has around 4-6 panels depending on the brand & system used.
- A 1-kilowatt solar system will save approximately 170 lbs of coal from being burned, 300 lbs of CO2,105 gallons of water from being consumed each month!
- 4kw systems are the most popular choice as they give the best return on investment, this will be 16 panels mounted facing south, East or West to receive maximum sunlight.
- Our systems come with a 25 year warranty, although the solar panels are guaranteed for 25 years.
- Solar PV Systems provide electricity 24-7, even on cloudy days and at night.